TVA and EPA to Discuss River Restoration Near Kingston
March 12, 2012
KINGSTON, Tenn. - The Tennessee Valley Authority and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency are inviting the public to a series of workshops on the restoration of the river system affected by the December 2008 fly ash spill at the TVA Kingston Fossil Plant in Roane County, Tenn.
The workshops will provide information on the River System Engineering Evaluation and Cost Analysis Report on the Kingston recovery project.
The workshops will be held at Roane State Community College, 276 Patton Lane, Harriman, Tenn., at 6:30 p.m. EDT. The schedule is as follows:
- March 15, 2012: Workshop 1 - Overview of the scope of the River System Sampling & Analysis Plan
- April 5, 2012: Workshop 2 - Nature and extent of residual ash in the River System & Fate/Transport Modeling
- April 19, 2012: Workshop 3 - Presentation of data from fish, birds and frogs
- May 3, 2012: Workshop 4 - Presentation of data from benthic macro-invertebrates, turtles, mammals, and plants
- May 17, 2012: Workshop 5 - Ecological Risk Assessment process and development of General Response Actions
- June 7, 2012: Workshop 6 - Evaluation of Removal Alternatives
The workshops are scheduled to run for one hour in the Walden Ridge Dining Room located next to the bookstore off the cafeteria, except for May 17, when it will take place in the Faculty Dining Room. Directions to the cafeteria are located at the entrance to the college. Signs will be placed in the cafeteria to direct attendees to the appropriate room.
If you have questions, please call TVA’s Community Outreach staff at 865-806-7688.
The Tennessee Valley Authority, a corporation owned by the U.S. government, provides electricity for business customers and distribution utilities that serve 9 million people in parts of seven southeastern states at prices below the national average. TVA, which receives no taxpayer money and makes no profits, also provides flood control, navigation and land management for the Tennessee River system and assists utilities and state and local governments with economic development.
Barbara Martocci, Knoxville, (865) 632-8632
TVA Media Relations, Knoxville, (865) 632-6000